I am not a morning person. I detest jovial, morning talkers who seem to always wake up on the right side of the bed with the sun shining.. Actually, “detest” is a strong word… It must be the “morning” person in me talking given the fact that I’ve been up for four hours already. I prefer quiet, calm, and simple to describe the start of my day, especially when I know there is a long day ahead of me. However, there are some days when I jump out of bed with the energy of a hundred suns, ready to take on the day.
The one question I ask myself ever morning before getting out of bed… Why?
I’m writing about those mornings now because that’s what I want every morning to feel like, as much as I hate to say it. I like my simple, quiet mornings and do not wish them away, but I wish it were easier for me to enter the day with a sense of youthful vigor. Granted I’m only 23, so I should still have some life left in my bones, but some days, it is a war between me, my alarm(s) and the snooze button that gets pressed repeatedly.
If you aren’t a morning person, here are a few things you can do to jump start your day. (These are not scientific…more subjective and possible entertaining)
- Make a To-Do list the night before and get out of bed after your first alarm. This way you start your day with a sense of accomplishment. Cross that first item off with your eyes half open, but be careful not to stumble into the shower before eyes open all the way up.
- Drink two glasses of water before bed. When you gotta go, you gotta go. It’ll get you out of bed either before your alarm or right on time.
- Place your phone or clock across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off. You’ll hate it at first and probably still continue to hate it. This one just sucks, but it works.
- Just sit up and put your feet on the floor. Your body may start to feel like it needs to get going once you’ve changed positions from laying day to sitting up.
- Taking a 10 second cold shower will wake you right up. This is probably a last ditch effort to shock the system. This is not for the faint of heart, haters of cold, or generally unhappy people. It’ll probably piss you off or scare you half to death at first, but you can ease into the day once the water warms up and you’re awake.
Go out there and start your day like a morning person!